How should this 245 be ordered? The title page of the item says this:

Trio in G-Dur, Trio in G major, für Violine, Violoncello und Klavier, for
violin, cello and piano, B. 446

This particular example is complicated by being one of the sorts of music
titles that is made up of a type word, key, medium, and number, in which case
all those elements are included in the title proper. So in this case we have
essentially a title proper and a parallel title proper, but neither appears as
a unit on the title page.

Under AACR2, we followed the ISBD admonition to keep elements in one language
together, even if that meant some transposition from title page order. With
ISBD punctuation, that would look like this:

Trio in G-Dur für Violine, Violoncello und Klavier = Trio in G major, for
violin, cello, and piano, B. 446

RDA says simply to transcribe the title as it appears on the source of
information. RDA 2.3.3.4 talks about the situation of having medium, key, etc.
in multiple languages and says to transcribe information in the order it is on
the source of information, but the example does not show the languages
intertwined. The example has languages grouped together, but one cannot tell
whether they were already grouped together on the source of information or not.

What are we supposed to do under RDA?

Jean

Jean Harden
Music Catalog Librarian