Richard's question leads right into the heart of something which has been puzzling me for some time.

If I understand RDA correctly, it would be wrong to use the relationship designator "author" in an ordinary added entry field here, because it can only be used for somebody who is a creator. The four editors, however, are not creators of the work as a whole (the anthology), but only of their own contributions in the book. So I think, "author" cannot be applied to them with respect to the work as a whole. The only possibility would be to record a relationship to a related work, i.e. to the essay (or whatever it is) included in the collection. By the way, I'm not sure about the situation in MARC: I assume it is possible to record relationship designators in a name/title entry and/or in a 505 note?

The same thing is true for my favourite title pages of collections, which show something like "with contributions by" and a list of names. According to the German RAK (and also AACR2, I believe), there would have been an obligatory added entry under the first named person in such a list. In RDA I believe this is no longer possible, as the authors of the essays do not have a direct relationship to the collection at all. With respect to the collection as a whole, they are nothing - neither creator, nor other person associated with a work, nor contributor. So there can't be a direct relationship to them. The only way to make an added entry for somebody who has contributed to the collection is to record a relationship to a related work.

I can see the reasoning behind it, but I still feel RDA is overly complicated here.

Heidrun

Richard Baumgarten wrote:

I am working on an anthology of local literature. I am listing all four editors. All of them have some of their writings in the book. I am not creating a Contents note because of the sheer size that it would be. Should I just use the relationship designator of editor or use both author and editor?

Richard Baumgarten

Cataloger

Johnson County Library

P.O. Box 2901