I believe that this is one area that the JSC didn't have time to completely
reconsider before RDA was published.  I think your understanding of the rule is
correct and it would make sense for the German translation to follow the French
example.  Indeed, I don't see why books of the Bible aren't treated under
6.2.2.9.

John Hostage
Authorities and Database Integrity Librarian //
Harvard Library--Information and Technical Services //
Langdell Hall 194 //
Cambridge, MA 02138
host...@law.harvard.edu
+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)