The abbreviations are used for the larger place in which a local place is
located.

This is used in authorized access points:

151  $a Seattle (Wash.)

And in the location of a conference or location of a corporate body or family
and place of origin of work:

111 2_ $a International Conference on RDA $d  (2013 : $c Seattle, Wash.)
100 3_ $a Ramsey (Family : $c Seattle, Wash.)
110 2_ $a RDA Explanation Society (Seattle, Wash.)
110 2_ $a Republican Party (Pa.)
130 _0 $a Big Brother (Television program : U.S.)

And it is also used in the individual elements that record places, such as
place of birth, place of death, associated country, place of origin of work,
location of headquarters, etc. etc.:

370 $a Seattle, Wash. $b Auckland, N.Z. $c U.S.
370 $g U.S.
370 $e Portland, Or.

But it is not used for transcribed elements like place of publication, place of
manufacture, edition statement, numbering associated with series statement,
etc.  If the transcribed data itself has an abbreviation or postal code, you
transcribe it as it is found.  But if you are supplying data not found in the
resource, you would not generally use any abbreviations.  So if I know a book
was published in Seattle even though it doesn’t say it in the resource, you
don’t use the abbreviations from the appendix: 264 _1 $a [Seattle, Washington]

or 250  $a Saskatchewan edition.   [not Sask. ed.]

Adam Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries