Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 6:18 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] alternative titles and variant access points

If all work/expression AAPs are entered as 700 a/t analytics, the title in 245 is exposed and the incidence of conflicts requiring 130 would increase substantially, no? And if pcc requires an AR for the 130, that would mean more authority work or, more likely, fewer bib records coded as pcc. Also, given the number of potential title conflicts in OCLC, it might be better practice to make the 130 with qualifier mandatory rather than to expend time and energy searching for conflicting titles.

In current practice, the relationship designator is not used with a/t analytics. If 700 a/t is used exclusively, I could see some indexing and display problems in current MARC based systems, whether it is inserted between $a and $t or after $t. If, however, the thinking is that with a 700 a/t AAP the creator-work/expression relationship is clearly defined w/out the designator, that would mean one less thing to do, so that would be a plus.

With a better mark-up system based on BibFrame, the MARC limitations could be overcome, but trying to do this in the MARC environment may be more trouble than it's worth.

Steven Arakawa
Catalog Librarian for Training & Documentation
Catalog & Metada Services
Sterling Memorial Library. Yale University
P.O. Box 208240 New Haven, CT 06520-8240
(203) 432-8286 steven.arak...@yale.edu