The first one is simply incorrect and should be fixed. The other designation element (Fictitious character) should be coded in $c of the personal name.

Adam Schiff
University of Washington Libraries

-----Original Message----- From: FOGLER, PATRICIA A GS-11 USAF AETC AUL/LTSC
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 7:07 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] RDA name authorities |c (Fictitious character)

I'm working through today's name authority changes & wondering why I'm finding:
‡a Wiggin, Ender (Fictitious character)  but
‡a Wiggin, Peter ‡c (Fictitious character)

Is this simply two different agencies interpreting the rules differently?

We don't catalog a lot of fiction here so I've not much experience with fictitious characters. I do edit our base library records occasionally & they have a number of Card's titles.

I'd send this to LChelp4rda but I am guessing they are not back at work as yet.

//SIGNED//
Patricia Fogler
Chief, Cataloging Section  (AUL/LTSC)
Muir S. Fairchild Research Information Center
DSN 493-2135   Comm (334) 953-2135