In a message to the PCC list dated September 4, 2013, Kate James of the LC
Policy and Standards Division addressed this issue (with reference to the
record for "Holmes, Sherlock"):

***

Regarding the issue of whether 9.19.1.2 f) should be applied, this is a source
of ongoing debate because of the contradiction between the Core Element
statement at 9.6 and the instruction in 9.19.1.1.   9.6 says, "Other
designation associated with the person is a core element for a Christian saint
or a spirit. For other persons, other designation associated with the person is
a core element when needed to distinguish a person from another person with the
same name."  However, 9.19.1.1 says to make the additions specified in 9.19.1.2
regardless of whether they are needed to break a conflict.  The intent of the
JSC in approving 6JSC/BL/3 and 6JSC/BL/4 last year was NOT to automatically add
the additions specified in 9.19.1.2 e), f), and g).  However, because 9.19.1.1
was not changed, we are left with a contradiction. So for now, it is a valid
interpretation to say that when creating a new NAR, you add a term of the type
in 9.19.1.2 e), f), and g) even in cases of non-conflict, and it is also a
valid interpretation to say that when creating a new NAR, you only add a term
of the type in 9.19.1.2 e), f), and g) to break a conflict.  Since this is an
existing NAR, you should not change the 1XX form unless a the need to break a
conflict arises.

The British Library has done another JSC proposal to address this contradiction
(6JSC/BL/13).  This new proposal will be discussed at the JSC meeting in DC in
November 2013.  ...

Kate James
Policy and Standards Division
Library of Congress

***

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568

"We should set an example for all the world, rather than confine ourselves to
the course which has been heretofore pursued"--Eliza R. Snow, 1842.