It is true that in RDA "government" and "jurisdiction" are used almost
interchangeably in the sense of Gebietskoerperschaft, but perhaps with subtle
differences.  That paragraph in 11.2.2.5.4 gives an idea of what is meant by
government, but it uses "jurisdiction" in another sense, which the German
translation gives as "Justizhoheit."  (Might "Rechtshoheit" be an equally good
or better term?)

In the last paragraph of 11.7.1.5, I think the use of "government" is closer to
"Regierung" in the phrase "If two or more governments claim jurisdiction over
the same area (e.g., as with occupying powers and insurgent governments) ..."

The use of "jurisdiction" in RDA is by no means restricted to designating a
larger place or government.

IFLA's Statement of International Cataloguing Principles
(http://www.ifla.org/publications/statement-of-international-cataloguing-principles)
 uses the phrase "jurisdiction or territorial authority."  (Official German
translation: "Jurisdiktion [!] oder einer Gebietskoerperschaft")   I don't know
for sure, but I suspect "territorial authority" was added for clarity.  It
means about the same as jurisdiction.  It certainly does not refer to certain
specific kinds of jurisdictions such as the Yukon Territory or Northern
Territory.

John Hostage
Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger
Langdell Hall 194
Harvard Law School Library
Cambridge, MA 02138
host...@law.harvard.edu
+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)
+(1)(617) 496-4409 (fax)

That confirms my suspicion that in many (though not all) cases, the best
solution for the German version of RDA would be to translate both
"government" and "jurisdiction" with the same German term
"Gebietskoerperschaft".

At present, the German translation uses "Regierung" for "government",
which is rather odd, because - as Verena has already pointed out - the
German "Regierung" has a narrow meaning only. It can refer either to the
process of governing something, or (more commonly) to the people who
make up the administration of a country, federal state a.s.o.. So, when
reading e.g. 11.2.2.5.4 in the German translation, people would believe
that the preferred name of Frau Merkel and her ministers is "Germany" ;-)