On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Heidrun Wiesenmüller <
wiesenmuel...@hdm-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> When I'm puzzled by questions of translation, I often turn to the German
> translation of AACR2, published in 2002. This was prepared by a bilingual
> team, who did excellent work. They used "vollziehende Gewalt" for
> "jurisdiction" in  24.3.E1: "Der gewoehnlich gebrauchte Name einer
> Gebietskoerperschaft ist der geographische Name des Gebietes (z.B. Staat,
> Provinz, Gliedstaat, regionale oder lokale Verwaltungseinheit), in dem die
> betreffende Gebietskoerperschaft die vollziehende Gewalt ausuebt." Note
> that they also used "Gebietskoerperschaft" for "government".
>
> Perhaps the question was discussed by the AACR2 translation team as well.
> If so, perhaps Charles Croissant, who was a member of the team, could add
> some details here (if he's following this thread)?

By way of responding to Heidrun's request:

RDA, and AACR2, use "jurisdiction" in two contexts:

1) to claim, or exercise jurisdiction (11.2.2.5.4; 11.7.1.5, 11.7.1.6) --
here the sense is "to have authority over" and since it's a verbal phrase,
it should probably best be translated as a verbal phrase. As Heidrun
remarks, this is what was done in the German translation of AACR2 24.3.E1.

2) type of jurisdiction (also 11.7.1.5) -- here the sense is "the nature,
or level, of government referred to" -- so here it would be appropriate to
render "jurisdiction" as a noun, and the best German equivalent would be
"Gebietskörperschaft" -- indeed, the official German RDA translation
translates 11.7.1.5. "Type of jurisdiction" as "Art der
Gebietskörperschaft."

In the AACR2 German translation, both "jurisdiction" (when used in sense 2)
and also "government" were translated as "Gebietskörperschaft." I don't
recall that there was debate about our choice, it seemed the best German
equivalent in terms of comparing the language of RAK to the language of
AACR2.

Charles Croissant