This is indeed almost certainly due to the version of boost being “too new”
for the version of cmake. I took advantage of a new cmake feature without
fully thinking through the consequences of how picky cmake is about it.

I’m going to revert this change to the build system before the 2018.03.2
release, which will happen sometime in the next couple of weeks. This
should allow older 3.x versions of cmake to work with newer boost versions.

-greg