Dear Ling,

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM, S.L. Chan <slch...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon folks,
>
> I would imagine that if you remove the hydrogens, the
> resulting molecule would be a substructure of the
> original molecule. However, when I do the following
> to the attached MDL mol file, there is no matches.

I would expect it to be a substructure.

>  >>> from rdkit import Chem
>
> matches turns out to be empty.

Which version of the RDKit are you using? I cannot reproduce this with the
most recent release:

In [5]: m = Chem.MolFromMolFile('temp.mol',removeHs=False)

In [6]: mhvy = Chem.RemoveHs(m)

In [7]: len(m.GetSubstructMatches(mhvy))
Out[7]: 1

In [8]: from rdkit import rdBase

In [9]: rdBase.rdkitVersion
Out[9]: '2013.06.1'