Hi James,

There's something very strange going on here with PyMol.

On Oct 25, 2013, at 1:09 PM, James Davidson wrote:
> I can't see any double-bonds rendered in PyMOL:
> CONECT    3    4    4   10

Here atom 3 has two bonds to atom 4.  Why isn't it displayed double?

> This PDB *will* render double bonds in PyMOL.
> CONECT    3    4    4

As expected.

> (and, again, I also see double bonds in PyMOL).
> CONECT    3    2    4   10

No explicit double bond.  Where is the double bond coming from?

I'd expect two of the above cases to show double bonds, and one to
only have
single bonds.  What is confusing is that which is which doesn't make
any sense.

> Can you (or Greg) post a list of what the current input flavors do?

Currently the reader only has a single flavor...
flavor & 1 : Read alternate locations, XPLOR/NMR pseudo atoms, and PDB
dummy residues.

By default the PDB file reader only returns atoms with alternate
locations fields
of space, 'A' or '1'.  It also ignores atoms with co-ordinates
9999.000, 9999.000, 9999.000
that appear in XPLOR output for leaving group atoms in covalently
bonded ligands.
Likewise, atoms with atomic symbol " Q" which are typically dummy
atoms used as
refinement constraints in NMR refinement.

If the flavor parameter has the value 1, all these pseudo-atoms are
read into
the RDKit::ROMol, but clearly their semantics isn't understood by the
rest of the
toolkit.  Valences will be incorrect, and a protein with multiple
alternate sidechain
conformations for some will likely fail sanitization.

I hope this helps.

Roger
--
Roger Sayle, Ph.D.