On Dec 2, 2016, at 10:05 PM, Brian Kelley wrote:
> Here is a very old version of Andrew's parser in code form: ... It was fairy
> well tested on the sigma catalog back in the day.  It might be fun to
> resurrect use it in some form.

There's also my OpenSMILES parser written for Ragel:

  https://bitbucket.org/dalke/opensmiles-ragel

Taking that path goes more along the lines of what NextMove has done.

BTW, upon consideration,

>>   [^]]*   # ignore anything up to the ']'

should be more restrictive and exclude '[', ' ', newline ... or really, only
allow those characters which are valid after the element (+, -, 0-9, @, :, T,
H, and a few others).

The exercise is left for the students. ;)

                                Andrew
                                da...@dalkescientific.com