Dear Paul,

Kindly consider a few pieces of information provided below.

For your 2nd question:

Widgets are rendered in web browsers. So, in my sense, Python 2.7.13
instead of Python 3.5.3 should not cause problem with widget rendering.
Python 2.7.13 should work. My conda install uses Python 2.7.12 and it is
working well with the notebook you attached.

For your 1st question:

The following stackoverflow discussion might help.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36351109/ipython-notebook-ipywidgets-does-not-show

Kindly consider the readme of ipywidgets.
https://github.com/jupyter-widgets/ipywidgets/blob/master/README.md As per
their suggestions, if you install ipywidgets using pip then you need to
enable widgetsnbextension (widgets notebook extension) manually.

Running the following line from shell will do that for you.

jupyter nbextension enable --py --sys-prefix widgetsnbextension

Kindly try out the following code. It should show a slider in your notebook
if everything is fine.

from __future__ import print_function
import ipywidgets as widgets

slider = widgets.SelectionSlider(
    options=[1,2,3],
    value=1
)
slider

Probably trying with different web browser may help (I am not sure though)

Best Regards,
Malitha