Ian,

    I make it 6 electrons: two from the N, none from the C double bonded to the exocyclic N, and one each from four other carbons in the ring. It's isoelectronic with /e.g./ pyridone, which is aromatic in RDKit...

In [1]: from rdkit import Chem

In [2]: Chem.MolToSmiles(Chem.MolFromSmiles('O=c1[nH]cccc1'))
Out[2]: 'O=c1cccc[nH]1'

    The protonated/tautomerised version are indeed aromatic (interconverting bewteen these species was actually how I came across this issue), but I still reckon the unprotonated bicyclic should be aromatic too...

        Francis