Francis

Sorry yes you're right, the C with the exocyclic d.b. doesn't contribute
its p electron to the pi system, but then doesn't that break the
aromaticity since a continuous ring of contributing p orbitals is surely a
requirement?

I would say that 2-pyridone should not be classed as aromatic for the same
reason but its tautomer 2-hydroxypyridine Oc1ccccn1 clearly is.  In
2-pyridone the ring C-C bond lengths alternate between conjugated single
(1.45) and double (1.34) whereas in 2-hydoxypyridine they are all around
the aromatic C-C length (1.39).

I guess it all depends on how you define 'aromatic' but as I understand it
there are 4 necessary conditions:

1. Must be cyclic.
2. Every atom in the ring must be conjugated (i.e. contributes a p orbital
to the pi system).
3. Must have 4n+2 pi electrons.
4. Ring must be planar (i.e. any stereochemical distortion breaks the
aromaticity even if the other 3 conditions are fulfilled).

You could add that bond lengths between like atom types should be about
equal, but that follows from the other conditions.

Cheers

-- Ian