From: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org> On Behalf Of
Chris Sparadeo via RE-wrenches
Sent: April-25-24 11:30 AM
To: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>
Cc: Chris Sparadeo <sparadeo.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] XW Pro Firmware 2.04 melting devices

Hi Kevin,

Let me chime in here. Last year I experienced something nearly identical to
what you are describing. 3 ea. XW pros in an off-grid application. Things were
working fine, but wanted to upgrade firmware for a comms issue I was having
with closed loop BMS and Insight. After the 2.04 upgrade, when the generator
would charge the system, voltage would slowly creep up and after about 20 or so
minutes, voltage would hit around 250 VAC with a terrible high pitched grinding
noise coming from the inverters. This issue burned 3 of the homeowners UPS and
several LED fixtures.

I was 99% sure this was a generator issue. After weeks of tech support calls, a
new voltage regulator and multiple return service visits… and eventually one
brand new generator… I had to come back to the homeowner with my tail between
my legs and let them know that it wasn’t generator related. Even after
reverting back to the old firmware, it seems as though the software eventually
affected the hardware. Long story short, homeowner was done with dealing with
Schneider and we ended up swapping the Conext gear for 2ea. Sol-Ark 15ks and
the system has been issue free for almost a year. Both generator run like a top.

Sort of embarrassing to re-read this, but if I can help someone avoid the
headache I went through, it’s worth it. One easy test method is to deenergize
your entire system, turn off batteries and manually bypass your inverters. Let
the generator power the loads directly and keep a close eye on your generator
frequency, voltage and THD. In my case, I found that the generator behaved well
in bypass and terribly when the inverters were present.

Good luck on this one!

Chris Sparadeo

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 1:51 PM Ray Walters via RE-wrenches
<re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org<mailto:re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>>
wrote:

That sounds like a generator problem.  I've seen many gen sets put out a
horrible waveform under load, when battery charging.  The waveform, (if you
have an O-scope) usually has a spike on the front of the wave, and then the
wave flattens significantly after.  The peak should be 169 v on a 120 vac RMS
sinewave.  I've seen it as low as 135v on crappy generators that are over
loaded.   THD is a great thing to check, but also check your peak voltage, if
you have a quick capture feature on your meter.

It also could be related to altitude, gen sets can perform badly when they
can't get enough air.   You didn't mention gen set model, or whether the
frequency was a solid 60 hz.  I've seen bad things happen when the frequency
got out of spec too.  I'm guessing a bad voltage regulator on the gen set.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar