The max speed for the FTDI virtual serial port drivers is 300kbps.

You can go faster using direct USB drivers but FTDI does not
distribute these for OS X and the 3rd party Linux direct drivers
(which compile for OS X) have other problems which mean I have yet to
get it to go faster than the VCP in continuous communication.

The only other way (possibly) would be using Mac OS built in IOKit
(IOUSBLib?) drivers but I have far from the required knowledge to
attempt to declare into that!

Regards,
Ben.