Crockpot Smothered Chicken

1 Tbsp. vegetable  oil
1/4 cup EACH finely chopped: onion, green pepper, celery and carrots
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 pound skinless whole chicken  breasts or thighs (this is about 1 whole
boneless skinless chicken breast)
1  package chicken gravy dry mix
2 cans (4 ounces each) button or sliced  mushrooms, undrained (myself I
don't eat mushrooms so I would leave this  out)
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
salt & pepper to taste (you may not need any, since the gravy mix  is salty)
Directions:
Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, green  pepper, carrots garlic
and celery. Saute 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp  tender. Add chicken
and cook 6 to 7 minutes per side or until browned. Add to  Crockpot (at
least 3 quart size).
Combine mushroom gravy mix and milk. Stir into chicken mixture in
Crockpot. Add mushrooms and liquid to Crockpot. Cover, set temperature to LOW
and
cook 6  to 8 hours. Serves 4.
Rachael's Recipe Notes:
Substitute 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) cream chicken or cream mushroom soup  for
gravy mix. Still use the evaporated milk, just mix the soup with the  milk.
Substitute 1-1/2 cups of skim or 2% milk for evaporated milk. It will  not
have the same rich flavor, but in a pinch, it will do.
Serve over biscuits or rice or noodles, if  desired.