Another good idea, Suze!  Or, why not just devise and pass a
Constitutional amendment with the proper wording.  Then there's no
need for either a treaty or a bill of rights?

But I don't mean to be mocking the idea of treaties or the idea of a
bill of rights. I believe that both are important to Australia if only to
provide an aspirational framework for our public life:  this is who we
are, this is what we believe, this is how we are prepared to behave.
That sort of thing.

 Still, the problem with all pieces of paper is that they do not solve
problems by themselves.  The American Bill of Rights does not, of
course, protect people from, say, being bashed or shot by the
police solely because they're black  That still happens frequently.
(it's called "profiling".  We shouldn't let it happen here).   What the
Bill of Rights does do is give people whose rights have been
abused a means of redress.  But that only works if people are
sufficiently informed, organised and cashed-up to take advantage of
the means of redress.  And also only if the government of the day
is not completely hostile to the aspirations outlined in the pieces of
paper.

(Incidentally, for Don Clark:  You'll think I'm being hopelessly
pedantic here, but the U.S. Bill of Rights protects the right of "the
people" to bear arms, not the right of "a man" to bear arms.  The
same thing, I hear you say?  In that case, you've got a problem!
But seriously, you'd be aware that U.S. jurisprudence has always
been divided about the intent of the 4th (?) amendment:  Does "the
people" mean individuals or does it mean groups such as local
militias?  I'm not sure the Supreme Court has ever ruled decisively
on that.  It's more the power of the gun lobby than the power of the
Bill of Rights that has put the U.S. in such a stupid and terrifying
condition vis a vis guns.)

Cheers,
Sandy

> If we had a Bill of Rights here in Australia, we'd also need a Treaty
> agreement with the Commonwealth of Australia surely? But crikes, if it can
> be broken so easily, kinda makes ya wonder if it's worth everyone's effort
> in the first place? hmm... oh, how about write into the Bill of Rights that
> no-one shall dishonour the Treaty? <g> *sigh, I wonder if solutions can be
> that simple?
>
> Suze

Sandy Sanders
Wormhole Books
27A Main Street
Upwey   VIC  3158
Australia
ph/fax  61 (03) 9754 5440
www.wormhole.com.au

        WORMHOLE BOOKS  science/fiction and beyond . . . .
                    www.wormhole.com.au