Peter Kovacs wrote:
Don't think we have one guide to go through, yet.

Well, https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO is an established starting point. Please pay attention to the link at the bottom "Step-by-Step Building Guide for Different Platforms" that can be more useful than it seems.

So welcome Phil, don't forget to tell us what Operating system you are using (most developers are more familiar with Linux-based systems, but we cover more or less everything), and ask technical questions to the dev list https://lists.apache.org/list.html?d...@openoffice.apache.org where you will find more community members.

Regards,
  Andrea.