Manchester United plc shareholders have been assured by chief executive
David Gill that the club does not need, nor would welcome, a takeover.
Shareholders United, the Manchester United Supporters' Trust, had wanted a
commitment from the board of directors at the annual general meeting that
the club would not be taken private by a single buyer, as happened at
Chelsea with Roman Abramovich in the summer.
SU spokesman Oliver Houston was encouraged by the meeting and said: "The
mood of the thousand or so shareholders in the room was that they value
their shares, they want to keep hold of their shares and they don't want the
club to be taken over and taken private.
"The headline for us is David Gill stating explicitly that United does not
need a sugar daddy.
"We are also delighted that plc chairman Roy Gardner has taken up our
suggestion to build up a strong, powerful independent supporters' trust to
protect the club's independence and has invited us to come up with ways that
the board could help us.
"We look forward to working with them to build a significant shareholding
locked down in a trust that therefore would prevent the club being taken
over and preserve its independence."
Houston admitted it was still a little disturbing for small-scale
shareholders that the Cubic Expression Company and second-largest
shareholder Malcolm Glazer had not publicly ruled out a takeover.
However, he added: "We are glad that the club are waking up to this threat and
realising it's not just shareholders' shares that are on the line but also directors'
jobs that would be threatened if the club was taken private, so we moved a long way in
that regard."

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/tsUolB/TM