Is there a way to permanently set folder permissions on mounted drives?
I can mount them from root and set the permissions to make them
writeable by other users but, after a reboot I lose those and have to
login as root to set them again.

Maybe something can be set in one of the scripts that gets run during
boot?

I've tried the man pages and can't find anything about it. Also haven't
had any luck with the HOWTOs or anything else so far.