>On a SCO system though you MUST have at least RAMSIZE+10% as when it
>crashes, it writes the contents of ram to the swap partition. If there
>isn't enough room, it will simply overwrite your root partition with
the
>excess.

Gee, that's very thoughtful of it! I wonder how long it took the
programmers to come up with that brilliant scheme?

Seriously though, I remember reading that GNU's tools tend to fare much
better than your standard tools from vendors. E.g., failing gracefully
in the the face of exhausted VM, file descriptors or what have you...

Which leads to my question, what really does happen with Linux when you
use up all the memory, RAM + swap? What is the worst that has happened
to anyone? EMWTK.

DL