> Hi there,
> I logged into my ISP last night, and start downloading some files. As it
> started to take longer than I thought I left it running over night. This
> morning after I logged out I checked the `messages' file, and to my
> surprise most of it was deleted. There was only a few lines there; to be
> precise, there was three logs of syslogd being restarted, and then there
> was a log of "su session openned for user `nobody'" and "su session
> closed for user `nobody'". The logs show that the whole session took less
> than a second, so I presume s/he run a script of some sort as su. What's
> even more puzzling is that I get dynamic IP address when I log in the ISP.

Every week, the logs get renamed to ????.#, where ???? is the filename prefix, and the
# is between 1 and 4. This gives you a rolling backlog of 1month worth of logs for
your viewing pleasure :)

The likely hood is that _ALL_ the logs have been renamed, and that they are all of 0
or small(ish) size.

Simon Delicata
--
You will never amount to much.
                -- Munich Schoolmaster, to Albert Einstein, age 10