From: Carsten Gaebler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 7:35 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Kernel 2.4.18 SMP hangs on Celeron at boot time

Hi there,

I have a single processor Celeron 1200 Machine which hangs at boot time
when I compile the 2.4.18-24.7.x kernel with SMP support. Without SMP
support it boots up fine.

I have attached the boot messages. The "p" where it hangs is the start
of the Unix98 pty driver message. Leaving that driver out doesn't solve
the problem.

The only error message that appears when booting with the "quiet" option
is:

Error: only one processor found.

But this shouldn't be a problem because an SMP kernel should also run on

a single processor machine, right?

I need SMP support because i don't know in advance how many CPUs the
machine will have.

All 2.4.18 kernels from RedHat have this problem.

I'd be grateful for some ideas. Maybe a BIOS issue?

Regards
Carsten.