On Wednesday 11 June 2003 06:43 pm, Ben Russo wrote:
> Robert Adkins wrote:
> >Man...
> >
> >     I have no idea why you have such slowness in you machine, except maybe
> >you need more memory in your system.
> >
> >     Personally, I am running Red Hat 9 on a Duron 900 with 512 MB of RAM.
> >The system is VERY snappy.
> >
> >     From a cold start Kmail loads up and is ready to use in less then 10
> >seconds. Evolution opens up in a comparable speed as well.
>
> When you say cold start do you mean from powered off?
> Or do you mean you just booted the system and logged into KDE,
> then you click on the Kmail Icon (START WATCH)
> 1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9... Kmail is up and ready to use?

Here what I tried. In FVWM2, I started kmail, took about 4-5 seconds for it to
be ready to use. And then, I kill kmail, go to the TTY2, and start *another*
X with KDE 3.0 (using startx -- :1). So I go to CTRL-ALT-F8 to go the second
X, and start kmail (after KDE finish booting up) and took about 2-3 second.

I assumed the one in FVWM took longer because it didn't have some of the KDE
stuff loaded when it start (like the DCOP server...whatever that is).

Keep in mind also that I have services running all the time: sendmail, apache,
mysql, postgresql. I even run setiathome. This is Athlon XP 1.7, 256 MB RAM.

I disagree that X is slow. KDE / Gnome may be slow, but X by itself is not.
It's inface really really stable. I don't remember the last time I restart X.
And with FVWM, I run continously 16 virtual Desktop, Mozilla with 6-15 tab
browisng, KMail, at least 7 xterms running continously, all kind of other
stuff such as XMaple (scientific/mathematics program), konqueror, etc. Kmail
and Mozilla's been running for more than a week without restart.

On the other side, I have Win2K here that I rarely use, except to test few
stuff (for web development). It will sitting idle most of the time, and with
no apparent reason, while sitting idle, a pop up comes up from time to time,
'Winblows is low in virtual memory... yada..yada..yada". WTH? I checked the
virtual memory and RAM; 512 MB and 128 MB respectively. And it sits
idle....... only way to fix it: Reboot.

Winblows are crappy. Coupled that with the price, the needs for virus
protection, all kind of useless update, the (lack of) stability for the
machine, the price for every piece of software you need to have (yeah... try
install just the OS.... you can't do no work... compare it just installing RH
distro), I honestly can't see why anyone still use winblows.

> But the WIndows Apps are much more polished in appearance, and in
> consistency of GUI and Keystroke commands
> The cut/copy/paste worked in amazing ways that you never really
> appreciate until you try to do the same thing from
> an Xterm to Mozilla, or from Konqueror to OpenOffice.

And someone else (can't find the post) mentioned that it needs to be more
standardize solution in Linux desktop (eg. mail client).

I think that's just not right. The beauty of using Linus is that: You, The
User, Has the *choice*. You can use anything you want, do anything you want
with your system. I agree, there needs to be more standard in the *format*,
but not the program/client itself. Not everyone like Kmail, or Evolution.
Some people loves Mutt. There needs to be freedom in the electronic / desktop
world too.

About consistency, again, Windows Apps are consistence because the all use the
same API. You can't compare that with the inconsistency between Gnome apps
and KDE apps. All KDE Apps that uses QT are consistent, and so do Gnome apps
with GTK (or whatever). But here in linux world, you have more choice, you
can take the best of both (or whatever) world.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja

/"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML