> The main reason is that, in order to do this you really need a high-
> speed random access device.  Tape drives are neither high speed (at
> least
> not the speed you really need) nor are they random access (they are
> sequential access).
>
> Perhaps someone has written a tape driver that will end up calling me
> a liar on this point, but in general, tape is not the right hardware
> paradigm to start with to make a good file system.

I have seen such a thing - a friend of mine (Gary Howland, sadly
deceased) wrote such a driver. It worked well enough to play Doom
off it. :)  This was many years ago and was DOS only - as I recall
he made a meta index at the front of the tape which allowed to
to seek directly to the block where the required file was located.

And no, I'm not calling you a liar.   ;>

ttfn, Nick.