At 11:35 AM 12/1/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>On 1 Dec 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Most qmail users, including myself, see this as a feature for qmail:
>> the sendmail way is the hard way.

The sendmail configuration is the hard way. But Postfix is easier to configure, IMHO

> Users new to an MTA (basically
>> anyone that has to ask which one they should use) will have a much
>> easier learning curve with qmail configs than with sendmail configs.
>
>postfix is command line compatible with sendmail, not config file
>compatible. The goal is to make sure the countless scripts out there that
>rely on '/usr/lib/sendmail' still work with postfix without the burden of
>sendmail configs.

Bingo!

>I personally use postfix, and find it safe, efficient, well documented

Almost ...I had some trouble finding enough info on "Competely Virtual Hosting"

> and
>well supported. It almost always does exactly what I want with no config
>changes. When I do make config changes, it is usually to just one or two
>lines in the well documented and very plain configuration file.

Agreed

>I tried qmail before I tried postfix and didn't like it. It was a while
>ago, but if I remember I decided that I wasn't ready for maildir and qmail
>required maildir. I also was addicted to procmail, and I didn't think
>qmail supported procmail. I don't know if they support mbox and
>procmail now (or if I just  couldn't figure out how to set them up back
>then), but now I've transitioned to using maildir with postfix (no
>procmail) and am happy, but what the hell, maybe I'll give qmail another
>try.
>
>So my recommendation to the original questioner is this ... try both qmail
>and postfix.

Yeah.

>See which one suits your fancy. Use it. Just please don't use
>sendmail <grin>.

Right on, dude!

>Frankly I don't understand why RedHat installs sendmail by default when
>postfix is probably far cheaper for them to support.

Me neither, it's sick of them to make sendmail default.  They're probably afraid of
what will happen, though, if they decide to make either postfix or qmail the deafult
:-)