On 01/04/01, 07:40:31AM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> Am I the only person in the world who has seen this problem:
>
> Clean RH 7 new installation on Pentium II box.
>
> Using Gnome desktop.
>
> Attempt to login at GUI screen.
>
> Systems login starts, then the GUI login screen comes back!
>
> This has happened on at least three occasions on three different
> machines.
>
> I have twice gotten the system working again by reinstalling the X
> system, but I haven't found the specific cause of the failure.
>
> The other time I found a .cshrc file with an error which caused the
> problem.
>
> But now I am stumped once again.  Before I reinstall X again, has
> anyone else had a similar problem that they fixed?

I have had this problem from time to time.  What I do first is be sure
all my temp directories are cleaned out.  If that doesn't do it, I reset
Gnome session management at login.  To do this, hold down Control and
Shift while clicking the Login button.  You'll get two choices: reset
with default programs and reset all user settings.  Try the first choice
one.  The second option destroys any changes you've made to the Panel,
Gnome File Manager, Session Manager Capplet and any Gnome application.

Resetting to start with default programs should fix the problem

John

> Thanks.
>
> Tom Browder

John P. Verel