It looks like X can not start your window manager
have a look at the X error logs

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 07:40:31AM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> Am I the only person in the world who has seen this problem:
>
> Clean RH 7 new installation on Pentium II box.
>
> Using Gnome desktop.
>
> Attempt to login at GUI screen.
>
> Systems login starts, then the GUI login screen comes back!
>
> This has happened on at least three occasions on three different machines.
>
> I have twice gotten the system working again by reinstalling the X system, but I
>haven't found the specific cause of the failure.
>
> The other time I found a .cshrc file with an error which caused the problem.
>
> But now I am stumped once again.  Before I reinstall X again, has anyone else had a
>similar problem that they fixed?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom Browder

-
Mark Bradbury                     Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Engineer                  SMS Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Information Technology Services   Phone:     +61 8 89466969
Northern Territory University     Mobile:    0417 860 591
Casuarina 0909 Australia          Fax:       +61 8 89466630