** Reply to message from Bret Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed, 13 Mar
2002 09:50:39 -0600

> On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 01:54, Jack Bowling wrote:
> > ** Reply to message from "Maynard B. Fernando" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed, 13
>Mar 2002 15:39:51 +0800
> >

> > > to all,
> > >
> > > i upgraded kernel to its latest version then i found out
> > > that GRUB is present instead of LILO... i'm not familiar
> > > with it... in LILO, i just edit /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo...
> > > what will i do? im sure i'll get error when the machine
> > > gets started!!!
> >
> > Actually, Maynard, you will be presently surprised. There is a lot
> of intelligence built into the GRUB code. Reboot and you will find
> out that the kernel has already been added to the /boot/grub/grub.conf
> file and everything is ready to go.
>
> Please wrap your outgoing messages.

Oops, sorry.

> Is this grup that is smart or the fact that RedHat rpms make the
> addition to grub.conf? I do like the fact that you don't have to run a
> program but then you don't get a chance to test whther or not the
> changes made to grub.conf were correct.  I sort of got used to the lilo
> -v warm and fuzzy that the kernel was going to be seen at next boot.

The RPMs do all the heavy lifting of setting up grub.conf, making the intird,
etc.
Of course, RH in their benevolence assumes that you would like the new kernel
to be the one you just installed so if you want to rearrange this, just go into
grub.conf and edit away. Note that grub will scan /boot on the next reboot and
list every boot image it finds, so you don't have to really go in and monkey
with it if you don't want to.

> While I am thinking about it and not reading the docs :O is there a grub
> equivilent to lilo -R kernelname that will reboot kernelname the next
> time only regardless of the default?

Can be done from the keyboard when the boot listing comes up on the next boot.
Otherwise, just go into grub.conf and change the "default" line.

jb

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]