The source, if you installed it, will be in /usr/src/linux-2.4 (actually a
symlink to 2.4.18-3 :^)

>From there:

make mrproper   # cleans up any old stuff laying about
cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686-smp.config .config        # Copy one of
redhats configs as a starting point
make menuconfig/xconfig         # xconfig if your running x, menuconfig from
a console
        -- Run through whatever changes you need to make; remember, RH
builds a REALLY generic kernel :^)
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install

Now, before you reboot, edit lilo.conf. I like:

prompt
timeout=200 # give yourself more time to catch it
default=linux
boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
linear

# clone these 5 lines from the existing setup

image=/boot/vmlinuz # This is the main thing to change, "make install" links
this to the latest kernel
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-3smp.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda4 # This is my root, might not be yours

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3smp
        label=redhat-smp   # Changed from "linux", lets you boot stock
redhat if needed
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-3smp.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda4

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3
        label=redhat-up # Also changed to match above
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-3.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda4

Once thats done, run lilo to update the MBR and reboot. A bit quick and
dirty, but thats the framework