> > RE.REPLACE_WITH_ESCAPES could not be resolved. Please send me your new
> > RE.java. Easiest for me would be, if you send all your source files
>
> This is part of the fix which is not integrated yet, so you can just
> remove/comment out
> tests which use this flag.

Yes, I did that. I have still problems running the tests and I didn't look
in this deeper yet.

> > Using JUnit the way you described is easy.

Thanks for your good support here.

> > I had MUCH more time to spend
> > to get the source files. If the test works, I will refactor a little
and
> >would like to discuss it with you.
>
> I'm sorry for that.

Well, that is my fault to spend much time to get the source files. I am
still a newbie with this handling.

Now I would like to discuss the interface to junit, for the tests. If you
give me your complete source code, I could implement it and give it back
to you.

How about a default implementation of the interface RETestCaseEnv? Maybe
the naming could be better.

public class RETestCaseEnvImpl implements RETestCaseEnv
{
        /**
         * number in automated test
         */
        private int testCount = 0;      // public getTestNo() is needed
???
        public int getNextTestNo()
        {
                return ++this.testCount;
        }

        public void fail(StringBuffer log, String s)
        {
                System.out.print(log.toString());
        }

        public RECompiler getCompiler()
        {
                return new RECompiler();
        }

        public void say(String s)
        {
                System.out.println(s);
        }

        public boolean shouldShowSuccesses()
        {
                return false;
        }
}

Than for JUnit (in the first step) I only need:

import junit.framework.TestCase;
import org.apache.regexp.RETestCaseEnvImpl;

public class JUnitEnv extends RETestCaseEnvImpl
{
        public void fail(StringBuffer log, String string)
        {
                super.fail(log, string);
                TestCase.fail(string);
        }
}

With this solution a little refactor for RETest could be done. The Env
could be held as instance varaiable and the testCount could be accessed
through the Env.

For running the TestCases with JUnit:

public class RETestJUnit extends TestCase
{
        public void test() throws FileNotFoundException, IOException
        {
                this.testFilename("docs/RETest.txt");
        }

        public void testFilename(String testInput)
                throws FileNotFoundException, IOException
        {
                BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new
FileReader(testInput));
                try
                {
                        // While input is available, parse lines
                        while (br.ready())
                        {
                                Runnable testcase =
RETest.getNextTestCase(new JUnitEnv(), br);
                                if (testcase != null) {
                                        testcase.run();
                                }
                        }
                }
                finally
                {
                        br.close();
                }
        }
}

How about refactoring RETest in this way, that there is a public method
which has a filename and an Env as Argument? Than reading this file could
be done in RETest and this class could be more lighter.