Dear Edward,

Thank you for clarification and giving a comprehensive reply to my query.
It all makes sense now. In my logic, I had assumed that the same models are
selected for the internal dynamics when swapping to a different diffusion
tensor (obviously not the case).

I had read your paper some time ago. It's time for a refresher!

Regards,

Romel

PS : Also thanks for sending me the link with the figure.

On 22 July 2013 18:23, Edward d'Auvergne <edw...@nmr-relax.com> wrote:

> Hi Romel,
>
> From the logic that the prolate axially symmetric tensor and full
> ellipsoid are nested models, it would normally be the case that
> chi-squared value for the ellipsoid be smaller than the prolate model,
> or at least close to the same.  This logic is only broken if
> optimisation is incomplete for the ellipsoidal model.  However the
> model-free problem is much more complicated than just one diffusion
> model verses another.  The reason is because of two interlinked
> problems - that of finding the diffusion tensor and that of finding
> the internal dynamics.  The prolate tensor has 4 parameters and the
> ellipsoid 6.  Therefore it is clear from the difference of 1 in the
> parameter number k that it is not just the diffusion models that are
> different.
>
> If you have a close look at the level of the spin, you will see that
> the model-free models selected for each diffusion tensor will
> different.  This is normal, as in the model-free analysis you have a
> chicken and egg problem of finding the diffusion tensor and finding
> the internal motions.  The result of one influences the optimisation -
> and model selection - of the other.  The model-free problem is quite
> complex, as I tried to parametrise in
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/b702202f.  If the diffusion tensor is too
> simplified, you have artificial internal motions appearing (both ns
> motions and Rex).  Hence the models will be different.  This is
> described in detail in that paper.  The artificial motions also occurs
> if the XH bond vector orientation is poorly or incorrectly defined in
> the structure - and this is also linked to the diffusion tensor
> optimisation.
>
> You do however have a very clean example however of the perfect
> nesting of two models.  This is quite rare.  The oblate and ellipsoid
> models have almost identical chi-squared values and a parameter
> difference of 2 - this indicates, though not definitively, that the
> model-free models selected are the same for both diffusion models.
> Anyway, I hope this description helped.  If you need more details on
> the model-free problem and space, the above link will help explain how
> this is not just a simple single-universe optimisation problem, but a
> multi-universe optimisation problem with interlinked model selection
> and optimisation.  You just have your prolate and ellipsoid results in
> parallel, but slightly different universes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Edward
>

> P. S.  Note that a chi-squared difference of 15 is not too significant
> if you consider how many relaxation data points for all spin systems
> you have used.  If you divide one by the other, you have the reduced
> chi-squared difference which you will see is quite small.
>

> On 22 July 2013 17:48, Romel Bobby <rbob...@aucklanduni.ac.nz> wrote:
> > Dear users,

> [...]

Romel Bobby
Biomolecular NMR Research Group
School of Chemical Sciences/School of Biological Sciences
The University of Auckland
+64 (09) 3737599 Ext 83157