Rather than get in a "what is science" debate with you or Leiter, I should note that law professors throw around terms like fraud at their own peril.  That said, as a committed believer in the existence of an intelligent designer (that is, God), I actually thought Leiter did a good job of "fisking" the law student's book review.

But, perhaps the old adage about bees and honey would have helped Leiter persuade a bit more?  Instead, he has cemented his online reputation as an unrepentant crank.  Not a terribly attractive academic pose ...
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: NRO Article

I suppose one could point to the failure to examine the premises of Beckwith's book may be one. Passing off as a scholarly examination something which is really an apologist's essay may be a bit fraudulent. Sorta like pretending many commentators are in fact reporters. Though I don't believe that opinions can be fully separated from facts or vice versa, I do think we have an obligation to at least try to make clear what we are doing and why. That seems to me to be the bigger problem with this polemic.

BTW, while one may believe that intelligent design is not completely excludable as a possibility by evolution theories, that belief does not make it science. And much of the so-called evidence for intelligent design and supposedly against evolution has in fact been rebutted many times over. And presenting it as though it were all correct or valid science could be a species of that protean concept of fraud.

Biological science, at least at the pre-college level, is not about philosophical possibilities. And we ought not require science teachers to enter that minefield more than necessary.

Steve