From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 8:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NRO Article

I have two responses:  First, no sense of the Senate resolution has the force of law, according to the U.S. Senate Counsel.   U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Legislative Process > Legislation, Laws, and Acts  (see "Simple Resolutions")  Any suggestion otherwise is false.  This is well-established law, and I find efforts to fudge the lines reprehensible.  This not a subject for opinion.

Second, Sen. Santorum did not propose this as a sense of the Senate resolution.  He proposed it as a full-blown amendment.  Sen. Kennedy made it clear that the bill was dead if the language remained, and Sen. Santorum backed down, agreeing to a sense of the Senate resolution instead.  As Sen. Kennedy's office has made clear, he does not endorse the idea, and had he agreed that the idea deserved to be law, he would not have demanded it be removed from the bill.  If you want a good earful, call Kennedy's office and ask if they think "problems" with evolution should be taught.  Santorum's protestations are interesting, but ineffective.  The language is not law.  The language of the Santorum amendment is ambiguous to someone who does not understand the code words used by creationists, and I doubt more than two or three senators realized how the resolution would be represented.  In Ohio, the claim was that the law required "intelligent design" to be taught.  That was repeated, though not by the Discovery Institute, in several pieces of testimony to the Texas SBOE this summer.

The Department of Education is forbidden from participating in writing curricula by tradition and law -- as was the the Commissioner of Education before ED was established.  Congress refrains as well.  So the claims that a sense of the Senate resolution which gets a nice mention in a conference report are law are false, and continuing efforts to fudge the lines go against law, tradition and wisdom, in my view.

There may be a court test of this stuff.  I'm willing to wager who will win on the point.

Ed  Darrell
Dallas