well, Jim, some countries do not define marriage that way at all; the French don't let the state do marriages. Indeed, I find it odd that people of serious faith would want the state involved in marriage; state defines marriage it then defines who can perform it. I am a devotee of ROger Williams; I think that they less the state has to do with religion, the better off religion is, and as it happens the better off the state is. I cannot comprehend why people of faith would want the state involved in religious ceremonies, in determining who is a bona fide member of the clergy, what prayers kids can say, etc. One of the oddities of this Country is that for centuries dissenting Protestants were in the vanguard of the fight FOR separation of Church and State; the Baptists was alwasys in the lead, because they could recall when their ministers were jailed and whipped for -- of all things -- performing marriages in Virginia. Now you want ot have th state running all this stuff. I can't wait to hear your tune when some other groups are in the majority; I wonder, for example, what the line will be when a Moslem majority in some city or even state wants to follow in your footsteps.

As for your arguments below, they are the exact same arguments used by opponents of interracial marriage -- any white man can marry a white women, any black man can marry a black woman, any Chinese man can marry a Chinese woman, etc. Or in Germany in 1937, any Jewish man can marry a Jewish woman, any Aryan can marry an Aryan. I am underwhelmed by the sophistication of your argument.

Paul F

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I have held my peace for a bit. But Professor Finkelman has fallen for a bait and switch tactic. The net result is that something the state calls marriage, defined according to its terms, is changed to suit something that homosexual activists call marriage, but which is, in nature and essence, a relationship completely different from the one known to the state.
Marriage is a relationship legally sanctioned by the state between persons of opposite genders. The right to enter into such a relationship is not conditioned on heterosexuality. Any gay man may enter into a marriage with any willing female. Any Lesbian female can enter into a marriage with any willing male. No heterosexual male can enter into a marriage with a willing male. No heterosexual female can enter into a marriage with a willing female.
I suppose this will be described by some as sophistry. Yet to say that homosexuals are being denied equal rights when they are prevented from placing their unions within the classification of marriage, is to ignore what marriage is, and demand a right to have marriage change into what it may become. Such a right would be more correctly described as the right to have things my way. But even heterosexuals do not enjoy the absolute right to have things "my way." Jim Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ

--
Paul Finkelman