this only shows that the exeperiment is not working as well as opposite sex marriage (but you don't offer number on those marriage in Holland); neverhteless if the statistics show that marraige improves life then all people should be allowed to be married. If the succdess rate of gay marriage is half that of straight marriage, that woulc certainly be a benefit to those who are in it; and in any event you offer no statistics on same sex marriage for women; what happens if we get numbers which show that same sex marriages for women last *longer* that opposite sex maraige in the US. Would that be an argument for banning opposite-sex mrrriage because it is not as successful as women in same sex marriage?

Gene Summerlin wrote:
Paul,

You have to consider the statistical argument within the context of what it
measures, so if the measurement is based on heterosexual marriages, we
aren't free to remove the term "heterosexual" and say, "See, all marriage of
every type creates these benefits."  That is an intellectually dishonest use
of statistics.  (Please understand, I am not saying you are being
intellectually dishonest, merely that arguing from statistics in that way
would be).

Paul is correct that we lack the breadth of data regarding same sex
marriages that we have concerning heterosexual marriage, but the data we do
have indicates that the benefits to society we gain from heterosexual
marriage would not be generated from same sex marriage.  A recent study from
the Netherlands, where same-sex marriage is legal, reports male homosexual
relationships last, on average, 1.5 years, and gay men have an average of
eight partners a year outside of their "committed" relationships.  Maria
Xiridou, et al., “The Contributions of Steady and Casual Partnerships to the
Incidence of HIV Infection Among Homosexual Men in Amsterdam,” AIDS, 17
(2003): 1029.38.  Contrast that with the fact that 67 percent of first
marriages in the United States last 10 years, and more than three quarters
of heterosexual married couples report no sexual partners other than their
spouse.

To refocus the discussion on the law aspects of this list, it appears to me
that a strong argument can be made that the government is justified in
withholding the legal benefits of marriage, that is the incentive to marry,
from any family arrangement other than heterosexual marriage.

Gene Summerlin
Ogborn Summerlin & Ogborn P.C.
210 Windsor Place
330 So. 10th St.
Lincoln, NE  68508
(402) 434-8040
(402) 434-8044 (FAX)
(402) 730-5344 (Mobile)
www.osolaw.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Finkelman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 12:54 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Law & Religion issues for Law Academics Subject: Re: Religion Clauses question

Mr. Summerlin's statistical arumement is interesting. Remove the word "heterosexual" from it and it makes great sense. *Married* people live longer, have greater life satisfaction, etc.

Summerlin seems to be arguing that only "heterosexuals" benefit from
marriage, but of course we have not statistics on gay marriage because
up until now it is illegal. Thus, this "social research" on marriage is
a strong argument for allowing gay marriage because it will lead to
healthier people because they are married.  Furthermore, it illustrates
the equal protection aguement.  Most gay people cannot marry members of
the opposite sex.  After all, the marriage would not work, since
physical attraction and sexual relations are, after all, an important
part of marriage.  Therefore, by denying gay people the *right* to marry
you are in effect, as Summerlin's suggests, denying them the right to
"live longer, express a higher degree of satisfaction with life, enjoy
higher levels of physical and mental health, recover from illness
quicker, earn and save more money, are more reliable employees, suffer
less stress, and are less likely to become victims of any kind of
violence."

Mr. Summerlin's posting, it seems to me, is the strongest argument I
have heard on why allowing gay marriage is legally *and* morally right.
  Surely, no one on this list would aruge that we should deny the right
to "live longer...." etc to people who are incapable of marrying member
of the opposite sex.

Paul Finkelman

Gene Summerlin wrote:

Bob,

Your point is valid, so let me try to answer the question of why should

the

government care? If we separate the sacrimental value of marriage from

the

legal aspects of marriage, we can agree that if a church or other entity
wishes to "marry" same sex partners, the church is free to do so.  But,
because the same sex marriage does not meet the legal definition of
marriage, the same-sex partners are not entitled to the legal benefits of
marriage.  The question really becomes why does/can/should the state

provide

incentives to some couples to marry (in the legal sense) and withhold

those

benefits from other couples?

Social research indicates that adults in heterosexual marriages do better
than single, divorced or cohabitating couples in virtually every measure

of

well-being. Heterosexual married couples live longer, express a higher
degree of satisfaction with life, enjoy higher levels of physical and

mental

health, recover from illness quicker, earn and save more money, are more
reliable employees, suffer less stress, and are less likely to become
victims of any kind of violence. As mentioned in an earlier post, children
residing in intact heterosexual marriages also gain a number of advantages
over peers in other living arrangements.  On the other side of the coin,
there is a significant social cost to care for and treat the problems
associated with broken marriages.  That is, to the extent that people and
children chose (or are forced) into non-heterosexual marriage living
arrangements, they are more likely to have health problems, economic
problems, abuse issues, etc.  Society ultimately pays a financial price to
treat and attempt to remedy these issues.

By enacting policies which promote heterosexual marriages, the state
preserves resources which would otherwise be spent on social welfare
programs.  Therefore, the state provides economic incentives to encourage
people to form the type of family unit that best utilizes the state's
resources.

Gene Summerlin Ogborn Summerlin & Ogborn P.C. 210 Windsor Place 330 So. 10th St. Lincoln, NE 68508 (402) 434-8040 (402) 434-8044 (FAX) (402) 730-5344 (Mobile) www.osolaw.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Robert Obrien Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 8:11 AM To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics Subject: Re: Religion Clauses question

I am at a loss to understand why the issue of marriage is such a big deal.

Protestants do not consider marriage a sacrament; therefore, whether

people

get married is religiously irrelevant.

The Roman Catholic Church refuses to recognize divorces granted by the
state.  Judaism grants divorces which are not recognized by the state.

In fine, the distinction between civil marriage and religious marriage has
long been recognized.  If the state is willing to allow two or more people
to marry while a particular church refuses to recognize such a marriage, I
do not see why that church should care.

Bob O'Brien

-- Paul Finkelman Chapman Distinguished Professor University of Tulsa College of Law 3120 East 4th Place Tulsa, Oklahoma 74104-2499

918-631-3706 (office)
918-631-2194 (fax)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]