In a message dated 6/14/2004 8:45:50 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I'm asking whether such conduct would be appropriate for a President who took his constitutional obligations seriously.
        Does this ask for our intuitions on the appropriateness of such conduct or a theory of what "is appropriate for a President who took his constitutional obligations seriously"? Or both?

        How would Marty's examples differ from the President asking the Pope to ask religious leaders around the world to denounce terrorism? Or suppose the President opposed a war in Iraq conducted by Nato without assistance from the United States.  Would it be 'appropriate' for the President to ask the Pope to urge Nato leaders or bishops in Europe and the United States to speak out against the war?

        It is difficult (at least for me) to find even soft (non-justiciable) reasons against such presidential conduct.  This does not mean that I would hesitate to vote against a president who asked the Pope to instruct American bishops to denounce action I approve of.

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Widener University School of Law
Delaware