I am perplexed.  In what sense has the President asked the Pope to pressure the Bishops to embrace some moral norm?  As I understand it, the United States Catholic Conference, with one voice, rejects the moral propriety of killing unborn children (abortion).  Are there known dissenters from this historic (going all the way back to the Didache) respect for human life?

Who knows exactly how the conversation went?

Suppose the Pope's deputy simply asked the question, given your familiarity with the American people and the American situation, and understanding the highly prized role for discretion in actually making such a decision, what impact would a directive to the American Bishops of this sort have on the struggle to restore the historic (going all the way back to the Fleet Street commentaries on the law) legal respect for the rights of the unborn child?

Jim Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ