I remember John Kennedy assuring the public during his presidential campaign
that he would not take orders from the Pope if he ever had to choose between
the Constitution and Roman Catholic doctrine.  I find a candidate/official's
views on the interrelationship between religious institutions and his
official responsibilities quite important for an informed electorate.  While
I don't think the Constitution requires Kennedy's position, I would enjoy
hearing reasoning behind any opposite view.
Malla Pollack
Visiting, Univ. of Oregon, Law
541-346-1599
[EMAIL PROTECTED]