Title: Message
Eugene offered:
>   Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I wonder how this would have played out in other contexts.  For instance, the abolitionist movement, the civil rights movement, and various anti-war and other movements have involved political-religious alliances on controversial public policy questions.  (The abolitionist movement was of course indeed dangerous to the republic in the short term, though good in the long term.)

>If in 1963, a government official called on Christian ministers to oppose racism and segretation and support civil rights, and asked them to assert that good Christians should oppose racism and segregation and support civil rights, would this really have been unconstitutional?

Since Christian ministers differed on each of these issues (in the old South Christian ministers maintained Bibilical support for slavery; in the South of 1963 Chritian ministers continued to maintain Bibilical support for segregation), it seems to me that for the President to opine about the beliefs or actions of "good Christians" constitutes endorsement of one set of varieties of Christianity.  However, for the President to call upon all like-minded Christians to come to his support is another matter.

Bob O'Brien

NTMail K12 - the Mail Server for Education