That's a reasonable argument about what's good politics, or The
Right Thing To Do -- though there are of course plausible
counterarguments.  On the other hand, I find it hard to see how it's
even a "constitutional point," in the sense of setting forth
constitutional principles.  It seems to me more of the "politics stops
at the water's edge" variety.

        Incidentally, Mark, what do you think of the examples and
hypotheticals I gave in my other post, for instance if LBJ in 1964,
conferring with a leading official of a mostly American-based church,
urged the person to take a stand in favor of civil rights and against
racism?