Actually, it is too burdensome because far too many teachers would refuse to utter those words.  Would  Williams ever say those words?

-----Original Message-----
From: A.E. Brownstein [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:
Friday, December 10, 2004 5:49 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Steven Williams Case - more factual information

I'm not sure that I understand the point here. Is it that it is acceptable for public school teachers to teach religious beliefs such as the resurrection of Jesus as historical fact?

Or is it that it is too burdensome for teachers to be "saddled" with the responsibility of telling their students when a class discusses religion that "In the United States, we live under a constitutional system committed to religious liberty. Americans believe in many different religious faiths and the tenets of these faiths are often inconsistent with each other.  Adherence to religious beliefs is a matter left to individuals and faith communities to decide for themselves.  That is why the government and the public schools do not tell people what religion, if any, they should follow. When we study religion in this class, we are studying what different people believe; not what people should believe. Our government and our public schools have no authority to declare religious truth."

Alan Brownstein