I suspect we have a disagreement here that is verging on the theological. The text of Exod 20 contains many commandments; so does Denuteronomy 5. No matter how one counts them, or parses them, it there are clearly more than ten separate commandments in these chapters. Jews and Christians disagree about the numbering of the commandments and the verses. Most obviously, Jews consider Exod 20:2 "I the Lord am your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, the house of bondage" to be a separate commandment. It stands alone as the First Commandment for Jews. Most Protestants do not consider it a commandment at all; Catholics and Lutherans consider it part of their First Commendment, but only part of a much larger commandment.

Most Protestants consider Exod. 20:4 ("You shall not make for yourslef a sculptured image..." -- as in King James Translation, "graven image" -- to stand along as their second commandment. Jews consider this to be part of a larger second commandment. Catholics translate "scultured image" as "idol" and make this verse part of their First Commandment. Lutherans also consider this to be part of their First Commendment (although I have not been able to fully determine how it is translated -- if there is someone who has a clear answer I would appreciate hearing from you, off list if you wish).

Jews Translate Exod: 20:13 ast "you shall not murder." Most Protestants and Catholics translate is as "Thou shalt not kill" (King James) Obviously this is a signifiant difference.

I could go on (I do at some length in my forthcoming article in Fordham.

The bottom line is this: there are more than 10 separate commandments in Exod 20; different faiths order them (number them) in different ways; Jews and Christians even number the verses in different ways; and the translations are very different have serious theological implications.

There is no one Ten Commandment that all faiths agree on or accept; nor is there a translation that they all agree on. ANY Ten Commandments monument will, by its very nature, be offense to some or all faiths, and will more than likely be an endorsement of others.

Jim Henderson is simply wrong, flat out wrong, in his assertion "But in the words, and even in their summarized various divisions among Jews, Catholics, and Protestants, the sum and substance of them is unified."

He may wish to believe this; he may even deeply believe and think that it is "true," but belief is not fact. His prohibition on killing is not the same as my prohibition on "murder."

His first commandment "You shalt have no other gods before me." (verse 3, King James version) is different in translation and meaning than my 2nd commandment, "You shall have no other gods beside Me." (Tanakah translation.)

Paul Finkelman

-- Paul Finkelman Chapman Distinguished Professor University of Tulsa College of Law 3120 East 4th Place Tulsa, Oklahoma 74104-2499

918-631-3706 (office)
918-631-2194 (fax)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]