-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ed Brayton
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 1:55 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Ten Commandments "Basis of Our Laws" Position

Mike Schutt wrote:

I think what is traditionally meant by the "basis of our laws" position is
the following:

1.  The Ten Commandments is a stark (if not the first surviving)
demonstration that law comes from "outside" humankind-- that is, that law is
not merely a human artifact.  This has a long tradition in the common law,
from Magna Carta, to Coke, to Bracton and Blackstone.  The ten commandments
"are the basis of our laws," then, in the sense that the common law has
taken the view that the King us under law, because law comes from God.
Russell Kirk in his Roots of American Order, for example, cites the giving
of the ten commandments as the foundation of Western order.  So, first, the
position is that the fact that the Ten Commandments were from God, not man
(being written with the finger of God) are the basis for many of the
fundamental common law propositions, beginning with "no man is above the
law."

What you call a "demonstration" and "a fact", I call an unsupported
assertion. The mere fact that Moses, or whoever wrote on his behalf, claimed
that the laws came from God is no more compelling an argument than the fact
that Mesha, king of the Moabites, said the same thing about the laws he
allegedly got from Chemosh. More importantly, as I said, most of those laws
not only don't form the basis of our laws, they would be entirely forbidden
as laws under our Constitution. The fact is that we could explain and trace
the reasoning for virtually every provision in the Constitution without ever
once referencing the bible or "judeo-christian" tradition or theology. Take
away the theological references, and nothing much changes in the
Constitution. This hardly seems a compelling case for such traditions being
the basis of our system of government.
2.  Theologians, including Augustine and Calvin and many other Protestant
and Catholic theologians in the history of the West have made direct
connection between the Ten Commandments and *all* civil, moral, and
ceremonial law.  Therefore, "all law" in a sense is based on or-- maybe this
is better put-- summarized by the Ten.  This is a pretty supportable
proposition from the Old and New Testaments.  So even laws that should not
be civil laws, such as the ones that Ed points out, are still "law" in the
sense of moral law, as Ed also points out.  Furthermore, civil laws should
be based on, modeled after, and in conformance with the moral law; so in
that sense, our civil laws are "based on the Ten Commandments."
No, I did not point out that those parts of the Ten Commandments that cannot
be civil law should still be considered "moral law". I may agree, on
different grounds, that adultery is immoral (and I do), but that does not
mean that this constitutes "moral law", and it certainly doesn't mean that
civil laws should be "based on, modeled after, and in conformance with" this
"moral law". In fact, I strongly disagree with that position. Again, all of
those prohibitions found in the ten commandments could never have existed,
and it would not change our civil and criminal law in the slightest. Indeed,
even without the few commandments that do find analogs in our civil law, the
laws would still be the same simply because prohibitions against murder and
theft are universal in nature and found in every non-biblical legal or
ethical system as well.

Ed Brayton