In a message dated 12/17/2004 12:20:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Its importance in communication is not subject to dispute.  My messages on this subject have been to the effect of its incalculable value in steering the hearer from rational considerations of that which is tendered through efforts described pejoratively as proselyzation.  Who could dispute the importance of a hammer to a carpenter?  Nonetheless, when the carpenter uses the hammer to open windows, we could all agree, I supposed, that misuse and abuse was occurring.

        If its importance is not subject to dispute, then why the fuss?  Many distinctions, dichotomies, and terms may in certain circumstances distort discourse.  Why not just view "proselytizing" as one more term to explicate and argue about. In other words, rather than insist that some terms are inevitably used pejoratively and accordingly steer the conversation away from rationality, include these terms in the conversation and deliberate about whether they are useful or not.

        I had a neighbor, who characterized himself as "a born again Christian."  Knowing that I am Jewish, he one day presented me with literature from "Jews for Jesus."  He explained to me his reasons for doing so, and I told him that I've thought about religion a great deal, even taught the philosophy of religion, and I have well-decided beliefs on the matter and essentially concluded thanks but no thanks. Our "good neighbor" relationship was none the worse--indeed, it probably became richer--as a result of this episode. Had he pursued his religious inclinations to convert me, or had I persisted in challenging his convictions, our relationship might not have withstood the test of time.  But neither one of us pursued his inclinations in this regard, and in my view, that's the way it should be.

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of Law