For the Ten C. to be the foundation of law we would at least have to imagine
that without the 10 C we might not have these rules; but of course ALL
societies ban murder (not killing, which is a problem with the (incorrect) King
James translation of the 10 C;), stealing, and perjury.  The 10 C say NOTHING
about destroying property beating people up or defamation.  So, I don't see how
the 10 C can be the moral foundation of law if those are central to our law.
Most of the 10 C have NOTHING to do with our law (one God, no sculptured
images, keep the sabbath, honor your parents, don't take God's name in vain,
etc.) so how can somethign be the moral foundation of the law if most of it is
completely ignored by our law.   Some of our law -- or at least our economy --
cuts against the 10 C-- Our economy is based on the concept of coveting your
neighbors things goods, house (maybe not wife).  That is what makes capitallism
run.

Paul Finkelman