I'm puzzled here.  Paul wrote that "The foundation of American law, especially
the *moral* foundation, begins with the Declaration of Independence, and
continues at least through the adoption of the Bill of Rights. The Americans of
1776-1791 were clearly rejecting a great deal of their English heritage,
including and established Church, an official religion, and the assumption that
'God' made laws."  I responded that (1) other principles such as no killing,
stealing, defaming, battering, etc. (including "both those mentioned in the Ten
Commandments and those not so mentioned) -- "are a far more important part of
the moral foundation of American law than the political principles in the
Declaration of Independence," (2) much of English heritage therefore wasn't
rejected, (3) the Americans of the Framing era didn't entirely reject
established churches or official religions, though they rejected a national
establishment (and some rejected state ones, though others didn't), and (4)
many Americans took the view that "right and justice were largely defined by
God's law was surely not rejected."

Now Paul responds by pointing out that the Ten Commandments weren't the
foundation of American law.  I agree, and have said so publicly (including some
of the points that Paul makes), see, e.g.,
http://volokh.com/2003_04_27_volokh_archive.html#200199520
<http://volokh.com/2003_04_27_volokh_archive.html#200199520>  and
http://volokh.com/2003_04_20_volokh_archive.html#200195975
<http://volokh.com/2003_04_20_volokh_archive.html#200195975> .  But I don't
quite see how Paul's message responds to the points that I was making, and
especially to my criticism of the statements in his original post.